Cholsey & Wallingford Railway Logo

Stock List

Welcome to the online edition of the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway stockbook. The first printed edition was produced in 1989 when the railway was still somewhat in its infancy and boasted a mere eighteen items of stock of which eight have since departed while a further twenty-four have arrived in those ten years. The aim is to keep it up to date allowing the visitor a complete picture of what is currently in residence on the railway.

Steam Locomotives

We do not currently have a resident steam locomotive. We do however, have frequent visiting locomotives. See the Events page and Gallery for details of past and present visitors.

Diesel Locomotives

Ex B.R. Class 08 Shunters

The Cholsey and Wallingford Railway is currently host to three examples of former British Railways diesel electric shunters. The development of these engines can be traced back to 1944 when the London Midland & Scottish Railway in conjunction with English Electric built a large 350hp shunter.

With nationalisation in 1948 the newly formed British Railways found the LMS design of shunter fitted the needs of the then modern marshalling yards, the main alteration from the LMS pioneer was a larger driving wheel, being increased nearly six inches to 4'6". In October 1952 the first two of these shunters were sent from Derby Works to Toton Yard for trials. In December 1962, over 10 years since the first of these shunters appeared, the final one of the 1,193 built rolled off the line at Darlington Works to complete the largest ever order for diesel locomotives on British Railways. All three of the locomotives based here would have appeared in all over black livery when new, this was later repainted green upon its first works overhaul and finally BR Corporate Blue.

13030-D3030-08022 "LION" Lion in the snow at Wallingford, 19th December 1999

This locomotive was built at Derby Works and entered service in October 1953 at Old Oak Common shed just outside Paddington Station bearing the number 13030. With large numbers of diesels appearing during the late 1950s the early shunters which had five digit numbers were prefixed with a 'D'. In August 1964 D3030 moved to Reading for a short spell before returning to Old Oak in November 1964. A major reallocation saw the locomotive move to Shirebrook West in July 1967 before moving further north in May 1973 when it was transferred to Knottingley Shed. The loco was again renumbered in February 1974, this time to 08022. The locomotives final move on the BR system came in August 1977 when it moved to Tinsley Shed on the southern edge of Sheffield, despite being withdrawn and reinstated in July 1982 its service life finished on 17th March 1985 when it was finally retired from British Rail. Within days of withdrawal 08022 found its way to Swindon Works dump to await components recovery. The need by Guinness of Park Royal to replace their ageing pair of Hibberd shunters lead the company to purchase a pair of surplus Class 08 locomotives. After refurbished at Swindon Works the pair (08022+08060), bedecked in black livery were moved from Swindon to Park Royal on the Western Region main-line on 20th July 1985 as 9X90, passing through Cholsey Station. This was almost a return home for 08022 as oddly enough it was just a short distance away from where it first started its working life. The locomotive was also fitted with a brass nameplate 'Lion' as well as a giant harp on the front radiator grill. Unfortunately a run down in rail traffic found 08022 surplus to requirements and on 30th August 1997 it arrived at Wallingford Station on loan from Guinness.

13074-D3074-08060 "UNICORN" Unicorn at Wallingford in late 2002 showing the new housing development
that has replaced the malt factory

This locomotive was built at the British Rail workshops at Darlington Works entering service in December 1953 at Hull Dairycoates shed. Renumbering took place in August 1957 when it was transformed into D3074. In January 1960 the locomotive was transferred away from Hull to Leeds Neville Hill shed but a return to East Yorkshire came in September 1970 when it was reallocated to Hull Botanic Gardens. This move may well have been a paper exercise as in October 1970 the locomotive as allocated to Lincoln shed where it remained until withdrawal on 24th June 1984. Like 08022 the locomotive was moved to Swindon Works for disposal and was given a reprieve when it was sold to Guinness to shunt malt traffic at their Park Royal Brewery in West London, where it was named 'Unicorn'. It arrived with its sister Lion at Wallingford on 30th August 1998.

13190-D3190-08123 "GEORGE MASON" George Mason near Wallingford, shortly after returning to service

08123 is the youngest of the three class 08 shunters based at the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway having been built at Derby Works and entering service in November 1955 at Severn Tunnel Junction shed. In February 1958 the locomotive was renumbered D3190 from its original number of 13190. This shunter was reallocated to Newport Ebbw Junction shed in June 1968 before making its final move in October 1970 to Crewe Diesel depot. After being renumbered in April 1974 the locomotive was finally withdrawn from Crewe in March 1984 and sent to Swindon Works within days of that decision. Members of the society visited Swindon Works to view a large stockpile of stored locomotives and two locomotives 08121 and 08123 were short-listed. After consideration 08123 was chosen, having been in better condition than 08121, another factor was that 08123 had been given a general overhaul in December 1979. 08123 was purchased with monies from a bequest by the late George Mason after whom the locomotive is now named following a ceremony on 26th October 1985. The transfer of 08123 from Swindon to Wallingford took place on 8th June 1985 and since then its has been restored to it's 1960's livery of Brunswick green paint-work complete with its pre-tops number D3190. After having minor work carried out on this locomotive it was pressed into service on 7th July 1985, hauling the Cholsey & Wallingford Railways first public train.

Hibberd 3270/1948 "Carpenter" Carpenter at Wallingford Station

This small 24ton 0-4-0 Diesel mechanical shunter was built by F.C. Hibberd & Co. Ltd at there Park Royal Works in West London, despite its remarkable similarity to a Hudswell Clarke design, even including the familiar steam engine style chimney. It was supplied to shunt (along with its sister locomotive Walrus, Works No.3271/1949) at the Guinness Brewery which was also situated in Park Royal and was the first locomotive owned by Guinness on this site. The pair were employed shunting malt trains at Park Royal and were named after the Jaberwocky characters 'Walrus' and 'Carpenter', who were featured in the 1930s Guinness cartoon advertisements. This shunter is powered by a Paxman-Ricardo 6-cylinder 6RWT engine at 1,250 r.p.m., which drives through a four-speed self-changing gearbox to give a top speed of 11m.p.h. In 1986 Guinness decided to purchase a pair of surplus class 08 shunters from British Rail thus rendering the two Hibberd locomotives redundant. Guinness kindly donated both of these locomotives to railway preservation societies, with Walrus being found at home at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road near Aylesbury and Carpenter arriving at Wallingford on 11th October 1986.


Wickham-8774/1960 One of the Wickhams- May 2007

This motorised gang trolley No.1 Willy Skunk was built by Wickham of Ware in Hertfordshire as 8774/1960. It left the Wickham factory on 28th November 1960 to join the Army as WD9045 spending all its military life at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Pontrilas in Herefordshire and was the last of the type delivery to the Ministry of Defence. With the demise of the rail system in December 1968 this Wickham was acquired by a Mr. Harris of Pontypool on 13th February 1969 who later sold it to the Dean Forest Railway in 1971. This example is a Type 27A Mk.III machine capable of carrying ten track workers and small quantities of materials in an unmotorised trolley to inaccessible line-side sites. This particular Wickham arrived from the Dean Forest Railway who converted it to a trackside weed killer and it remains in this format with the tank and spray equipment carried in the small towed trolley.


This vehicle is another example of Wickham Type 27 trolley is A37W 8502/1960, which arrived at Wallingford from the West Somerset Railway during the summer of 1998. This version has roll down canvas sides to keep the weather out, other versions having been noted with marine-ply doors along the body-side to keep out determined vandals. This Wickham was noted by its owner at Newbury Station in 1972 and not long after it arrived at Garsington, near Oxford to start a three-year rebuild. Upon completion it moved to Didcot before ending up near Radstock in the summer of 1975 as part of the Somerset & Dorset Railway. Unfortunately local protests prevented this line being reopened and the collection moved to the West Somerset Railway 1977. This machine is powered by a Ford E series 1172cc engine via a bi-directional three-speed gearbox powered these gang trolleys.


Another product of the Wickham stable were these small Type 8S two seat inspection trolleys are powered by a small JAP petrol engine. The machine preserved at Wallingford was delivered new to the Great Western Railway as PWM2176 (later renumbered A144) in 1946 with works number 4153. This lightweight machine had two wooden lifting handles passing through the chassis to enable the two-man crew to remove it from the track. It is currently stored at Wallingford awaiting restoration.


Coach No.250 Coach 250 in use as Wallingford Station Cafe

This coach is the oldest passenger-carrying vehicle on the line having been built in 1895 by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon for the Cambrian Railway. This 35'0" long coach was one of a batch of 10 (241-250) and originally was formed of six third class compartments. In 1923 with the formation of the 'Big Four' railway companies it was absorbed into the Great Western Railway where it served until withdrawal in 1934 being renumbered as 4109 in 1924. The 1930's depression saw many coach bodies sold off as dwellings as the was the case with 4109 and it found further use on Lambourn Downs until being acquired for preservation and arriving at Wallingford on 14th November 1989. This coach body is one of only three examples of Cambrian Railway coaching stock to survive and is currently in use at Wallingford Station as a Café.

G.W.R. Coaches

Fruit D - 3436 GWR Fruit D- 3436

One of 285 Fruit D vans built at Swindon Works, the first 50 emerged from Swindon in Great Western times. The example at Wallingford was built in 1950 under Lot No.1723 Dia Y.14 and was a batch of forty vans. These vans had wooden bodies for transporting perishable goods in passenger or fast goods trains, the three large double bodyside doors enabled vans to be loaded or unloaded with ease. With road transport eating its way into railway freight it was not long before the demise of agricultural goods on the rails. After withdrawal from its intended duty this van was transferred to the Departmental fleet as a stores van numbered DB975300, another transfer came when it was moved into the internal user fleet at Acton Yard as 068724. This final duty came to an end in 1983 and W3436 was put up for tender, fortunately it was acquired by two society members and arrived at Wallingford on 7th January 1984. The 'Fruit D' has continued to be used as a mobile store, but because it is fitted with both vacuum brakes and steam heating equipment it can be marshalled into a passenger train should the need arise.

Siphon G - 1043 GWR Siphon G

Another product of Swindon Works, this 26ton Siphon G was built in 1955 built under Lot No.1768 Dia 062 and was classified as a ventilated milk van. In its early days this vehicle would have been used for transporting milk churns, the wooden slatted sides allowing cold air to circulate inside its body whilst on-route, all cars have GWR style gangways and bogies and are built of a wooden frame construction. With the demise of the milk churn traffic the Siphon Gs were transferred for use on newspaper traffic and several rakes could be noted at Paddington just prior to midnight during the 1970s all bedecked in corporate blue livery. After the demise of newspaper traffic on the rail network this van was transferred to departmental stock, allocated number CDB975834 it was one of eleven Siphon Gs earmarked to work between Swindon and Derby Works transferring seat trimming materials. For some unknown reason 1043 was not used on this duty being left as a store at Swindon Works. With the demise of Swindon Works this van was preserved by Active Force (Swindon Railway Engineering Ltd) in 1987 before its arrival at the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway on 28th January 1990. It has since been restored to GWR brown livery.

Gangwayed Brake-184 Interior of 184's Guard's Compartment

This gangwayed Brake van was designed by Collett and built at Swindon Works in 1935 under Lot No. 1535 Dia K41, one of 60 built to that design. This van comprised of a central guards compartment flanked by two luggage areas, these vehicles were built to passenger coach outlines and could serve as additional luggage capacity in passenger trains or as a parcel van. Many of these vans were allocated to specific routes and were marked on the body side with their particular duty. This 57'0" van was withdrawn in 1971 and entered the departmental fleet as an Enparts van No.DB975157, this was used to transfer engine spares from Swindon Works to various locomotive sheds on the Western Region, this work unfortunately taking a heavy toll of the wooden floor. After being withdrawn this former passenger brake was stored at Swindon Works, but with the works closure announced in the mid-nineteen eighties all stored stock had to be disposed of. Fortunately in 1987 it was saved from the cutter torch and sold to Active Force (Swindon Railway Engineering Ltd) before being resold to the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway arriving at Wallingford on 28th January 1990. It was partly restored and ran in Santa specials for a number of years and is currently undergoing further restoration.

Corridor Brake Third-2225

F.W. Hawkesworth was the last Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Great Western Railway and was responsible for a number of powerful locomotives and comfortable coach designs in the 1940s. The hallmark of these coach designs is the sloping roof ends and near flat sides to its 64' length. At the advent of nationalisation in 1948 a number of contracts made with the old railway companies remained to be fulfilled and this coach was one such example. 2225 is a third class corridor passenger brake being built in 1950 at Metropolitan-Cammell Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. at their Washford Heath Works prior to the onset of the British Railways Mk.1 standard stock. Built under Lot No.1732 Dia D133 the coach entered service in 1950 before being withdrawn in 1966. Upon withdrawal the coach was sent to Wolverton Works in 1967 and converted to a CCE Staff & Dormitory coach working with track machine DR76308 at Newport and being renumbered in the departmental fleet as DW150392. The coach was finally withdrawn in the mid-nineteen eighties and stored at Radyr yard before making its last journey on British Rail to Gloucester, from were it was transferred by road to Wallingford on 8th October 1988. Its first duty on the railway was to form Santa's Grotto in December 1988.

British Railways Standard Coaches

Tourist Open Second-W3736 BSO at Wallingford Station

This British Railways Mk.1 standard coach was built at Doncaster Works under Lot No.30043 Dia 93 and entered service in 1953. This coach weighs 33 tons and is fitted with steam heat equipment to provide winter warmth for its 64 passengers. These 64 seats are set out in an open layout of 16 bays each with 4 seats and a table, the layout was completed with a pair of toilets at one end. The coach was bought for preservation and moved to Tyseley in 1983. The coach remained here until 26th March 1997 when it arrived at the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway.

Tourist Open Second-W4508

Another Open Standard coach, this example was built at York Works under Lot No.30243 Dia 93 entering service in 1956. The tourist second class arrangement was an LNER design aimed at increasing seating numbers although in those days it was for third class passengers. In 1985 the coach was given celebratory status when a rake of Mk.1 coaches were painted in Great Western Railway chocolate and cream livery to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the G.W.R. and W4508 still carries the tables showing the logo of the event. After withdrawal W4508 was sold to Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley where its was used along with W3736 as Annie & Clarabel for Thomas the Tank engine events. With Tyseley acquiring a set of Mk.II coaches for main-line work both these coaches became surplus to requirements and were purchased by members of the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway, arriving here on 28th March 1997.

Brake Second Corridor-W35129

M35219 is of the BSK (Brake Second Corridor) classification, this is the standard code for a coach containing four-second class compartments (24 seats), a small brake compartment and a sizeable luggage/parcels area, there is also a toilet at the outer end of the passenger area. This luggage area was capable of holding 2.5 tons of goods and parcels and was secured by a pair of double leaf sliding doors. This 34-ton coach was built by Chas. Roberts at Horbury Junction near Wakefield under Lot No.30386 Dia 181 and entered service in 1957. After its withdrawal it entered departmental stock as part of a batch of twelve coaches gathered together in 1986 at Tees Yard for use in SAS training exercises. Renumbered as TDB977426 the coach was sent to Heaton carriage shed after the completion of the exercise, after which the South Yorkshire Railway in Sheffield acquired it during 1989. It arrived at Wallingford on 29th April 1995 still bedecked in its British Rail corporate blue and grey livery that has since been repainted chocolate and cream.

Goods Vehicles

GWR Toad Brake Van ADW35208 Toad Brake Van ADW35208 in June 1999 showing the extra windows added by BR

The name 'Toad' is the GWR telegraphic code for a brake van, although quite why the Swindon telegraphers of years gone-by chose the name remains a mystery. The Toad is standard Great Western Railway brake van, the design being noted as early as 1894. Many varieties were built between 1894 and the early 1950s, each with the open veranda at one end and the cosy enclosed guards compartment with its coal stove at the other. ADW35208 was a product of the Great Western Railway at Swindon Works this brake van entered service in 1947 and was built under Dia AA.23. The vehicle finished is days as a support van for a crane (DRA81550) which although was based at Reading tended to spend a large amount of time in the Bristol area. The additional side windows and BR Inter-City livery were applied for an Open Day at Bristol Bath Road shed in the early 1990's.

Salt Van No.45

The first wagon to arrive on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway was the 8 ton salt wagon. Built by the Salt Union at their workshops at Winsford in 1910 and constructed almost entirely of wood the van found employment carrying salt from the large rock salt mines located in Cheshire to location throughout the U.K. At one time there were several hundred of these small vans with their apex roofs (as opposed to the more familiar curved roofs of covered vans) around the country but it is understood that No.45 is now one of only a pair of survivor and further restoration is planned. No.45 entered service in 1910 with the Falk Salt Company, which was a member of Cheshire's Salt Union, but became the property of ICI when that company bought out the Salt Union in 1937. Although made available for preservation in the early 1970s, No.45 was to spend eight years rotting away at in a siding at Didcot before finally being offered to the Society on a 'Take it away before it falls apart' basis, arriving at Wallingford on 17th September 1983. The wagon is in a serious state of decay, but in view of its historical value it has been cosmetically restored in the popular Saxa Salt livery to preserve it until further funding can be secured for its full restoration.

Esso Tank No.2606

In the early days of the Society the founders were informed that Esso had a stock of redundant tank wagons for disposal and were happy to give one away to any preserved railway that required one. Amazed, they approached Esso's Head Office and found it was true. No.2606 was, along with a number of other such vehicles stored at Cardiff and unlikely to be used again so Esso's reply to our enquiry was 'where and when do you want it?' As it turned out it was twenty months before it arrived at Wallingford making its first appearance in October 1983. This 20-ton oil tank was built by the Standard Wagon Company at Heywood Lancashire for Esso and became registered by the LMS as 163417A in October 1948. Currently the tank is a most valuable asset to the railway being used as a water storage tank for the steam engines.

GWR Starfish No.80005

This Ballast wagon dates back to 1899 and is a product of Swindon Works built under Lot No.326 Dia P2 and numbered DW80005. After finishing its Permanent way career it was used by H. Pooleys & Co. Ltd (Weighing Machine Contractors) who had a base at Swindon Works, this move saw the wagon renumbered into Departmental stock as DW150260. Following its work with Pooleys it was acquired by W.H. McAlpine who collected the wagon from Swindon Works in May 1981 for use on his Fawley Hill Railway. DW150260 arrived at Wallingford on 5th July 1986 on loan and has been regularly used on permanent-way trains.

MoD Warflat WGF8082

This wagon was built for the War Department by Metropolitan Cammell at Washwood Heath in Birmingham in 1940. The Warflat at Wallingford is known is a 'French' Warflat as it was intended for shipment to the continent in 1940 to support the British forces there. The assumption was that the war would be very much like 1914-1918 conflict was, being fought on main land Europe and that extra tank transportation wagons would be needed to move the allied armoured divisions. As it happened events overtook this plan and they were only used in the U.K. being placed on a state of alert should Germany invade. These Warflats were used to minimise wear on armoured fighting vehicles, in general all such vehicles travelling a distance of less than 50 miles would use the road, while journeys of a greater distance had to use the rail network. This vehicle weighs in at 18-tons 19-cwt and have a wooden planked deck over there 40'0" length which can carry 50-tons of mechanical armour. Trains of Warflats were allocated to remote locations during the war ready for service. These trains would consist of either 5,9 or 10 warflats,2 ramp wagons,2 Brake vans,1 store van and one or more coaches added as and when necessary. The example at Wallingford arrived on 23rd January 1999 having made the journey from the Army depot at Marchwood in Hampshire.

BR Loriot No.DB998000

This 20t four wheeled trolley was designed for departmental service and the example on the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway is the prototype of a type of just 30 vehicles. DB998000 was built at Swindon Works in 1949 under Lot No.2095 Dia 2/900 and was the first of this small Lot of three wagons, oddly its two sister vehicles 998001/02 are still in service. These Loriots can carry a load up to 13.5 tons and have removable buffing struts.

BR Medium Goods Wagon No.B460765

This Medium Goods wagon was designed at Derby to the requirements of Mr. R. A. Riddles and boasted a body of riveted construction. There were four different designs produced for the British Railways medium goods wagon. All shared a common 17'6" rolled steel underframe with a 10'0" wheelbase and this was coupled to 1'9" deep drop side body with fixed steel ends. Early version of this van had wooden sides, but these were soon replaced by steel as is the example preserved here. B460765 was built under Lot.No.2352 Dia 1/019 at Ashford Works in 1953 and was one of 4,000 wagons built to this diagram at Ashford between the summer of 1951 and December 1955. This wagon was sold to the MOD and arrived from the Royal Naval Armament Yard at Bedenham, Hampshire on 26th March 1992.

BR 12T Ventilated Goods Van No.CDB780637 Restored BR 12T Goods Van in 1998

The Standard British Rail 12T ventilated box van was once a common sight on every line throughout the country. After nationalisation the then newly formed British Railways ordered 12t vans to the designs of the 'Big Four' companies. The Ideal Stocks Committee recommended in its report that the 12t van should be built as the standard covered van with hinged central body side doors. So Diagram 208 was drawn up as the standard design and incorporated the Swindon style planked body side and doors with angle bracing which was combined with the pressed steel ends designed by Wolverton Works, our example has ply wood doors instead of planking. The whole thing was mounted on a standard underframe with vacuum brakes and Instanter couplings. Production of the first pattern of 12t vans was shared between Faverdale and Wolverton except for one batch of 1,200 vans built by Charles Roberts. The van preserved on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway was built at Charles Roberts factory at Horbury Junction near Wakefield in 1958 under Lot No.3164 Dia 1/208. The grand total of vans built to this Diagram stands at a massive 19,063 with four different patterns within this total. Early examples were built with planked sides and doors, while the example here has a combination of planked sides and plywood doors, latter variants were built entirely of plywood. CDB780637 finished its working life being allocated to Swindon, being used to transport materials to Kemble in connection with works repairing the railway water main. After withdrawal the van was stored at BREL Swindon from where it was purchased before being tripped to Didcot for its eventual journey to Wallingford on 27th February 1987. This van has provided a useful store for the locomotive department and was refurbished in 1998.

BR Dogfish DB992949

DB992949 was one of a batch of 200 examples built by Metro-Cammell in 1959 under Lot No.2820 Dia 1/587. The Dogfish is basically an enlarged version of the Catfish, weighing it 5tons heavier at 24tons. A total of 1,249 Dogfish Ballast wagons were built, 221 were later modified for the conveyance of slag. The whole batch of these wagons were vacuum fitted from new and with three bottom doors they could discharge ballast between or on either side of the track. This wagon arrived from Reading in 1991 and is a most useful asset to the Permanent Way team.

Lavender 4 plank open

This four-plank wagon is thought to be ex London & South Western Railway being constructed at the turn of the century. After withdrawal it was acquired by the Royal Navy to work at their large internal railway at Bedenham, near Gosport before being sold to the Lavender Line in the early nineteen nineties. This wagon was declared surplus to the lines requirements and was duly sold to a member of the Wallingford & Cholsey Railway arriving at Wallingford on 31st December 1997

5 plank wagon open 5 Plank Wagon restored to the livery of Hutt and Sons,
pictured in Cholsey Coal Yard

This wagon was believed to have been built in 1895 by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Ltd although its days working for the MOD have seen many parts exchanged with other wagons. This wagon also ended up at the Royal Naval Armament Yard at Bedenham before being sold to the Lavender Line. It was transferred to Cholsey Coal Yard on 31st December 1997 and is currently being restored to the livery of Hutts the local Cholsey coal merchants.

RNAD396 Box Van

Built by Charles Roberts 1940 this 12T box van has vertical planking with a central plywood sliding door. This van was registered with the Great Western Railway as 85333 before its post war military career. The van was sent to the Royal Naval Armament Yard at Bedenham in Hampshire where it was numbered RNAD396 as well as its MOD No.WGB047650 (the WGB is Wagon Goods Box). Following the demise of rail traffic in the early nineteen nineties the sites rail system was abandoned and RNAD396 arrived at Wallingford from Bedenham on 26th March 1992

RNAD Box Van

This vintage 12T box van was built for the London & North Western Railway being numbered 47433. The body has horizontal planking with the main central doors being vertically planked. After the Second World War the vehicle was transferred to the large internal railway network at the Royal Naval Armament Yard at Bedenham, near Gosport. Whilst in Royal Navy service the roof was slightly lowered, although the reason for this is unclear, unless it was the result of an accident. The vehicle along with three others from Bedenham arrived at Wallingford on 26th March 1992.

RNAD155 Flat Wagon

Another unidentified vehicle that was ex Royal Navy, this flat wagon is believed to be early British Railways although it does have LMS marked spring hangers it is devoid of any marks except its Naval serial number RNAD155. The task of identifying former MOD rolling stock is very difficult as it was very common practice to interchange parts between wagons whilst in their military service. This wagon arrived at Wallingford from the Royal Naval Armament Yard at Bedenham, near Gosport on 26/03/1992.

GWR Grampus W60933

Built by the Great Western Railway at Swindon Works this 10 ton Grampus ballast wagon would have seen service all over the Great Western system. Upon withdrawal in the early nineteen eighties it was placed into internal user stock at Newport, being numbered 070055 before being transferred to BREL Swindon Works. Upon the demise of this facility the wagon was acquired by the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway arrived in 1986.

BR Brake Van-B954171

This 20T Brake van is unfortunately now only a bare underframe. This chassis arrived here from the Fawley Hill Railway on 10th October 1988, the redundant body was then mounted on the underframe of LMS Fruit Van DM236074 (which has a smaller wheelbase needed for the tight radius trackwork at Fawley). B954171 was built by British Railways at their workshops at Faverdale in 1958 under Lot No.3129 Dia.1/506. With the slow demise of the Brake van in BR service B954171 was condemned at Bletchley on 18th April 1986. After being placed on the tender list its was successfully acquired by the Fawley Hill Railway on the 5th December 1986. Despite being reduced to a flat wagon, it serves as a useful addition to the Permanent Way fleet on the railway.

Other Vehicles

6 ton Ransomes & Rapier Mobile Crane

This useful road vehicle is currently employed to coal up the steam engines and is normally found on the former spur into the Malt sidings. Classed as a Rapier Standard crane and built in Ipswich (No.27132M709) this vehicle was previously employed by the Central Electricity Generating Board at Didcot Power Station. Fitted with solid rubber tyres this vehicle has a 6-ton lift capacity, which is a useful asset to the Permanent Way team.

© 2007 Cholsey & Wallingford Railway Preservation Society. Last updated on the 15th May 2007.